GITMO Taliban Characteristics – Value to Taliban?
- Not equally important
- Two matter to the Taliban
- Not enough evidence to determine what impact will be.
- Mullah Mohammad Fazl: Taliban leader + Former chief of armed forces = Mass murder of unarmed Afghan civilians in 1999 & 2001 in Taliban offensives.
- Mullah Norullah Noori: Taliban operative & governor of Balkh province.
- Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa: Former Taliban Minister of the Interior. A relative moderate linked to the opium trade.
- Abdul Haq Wasiq: Former deputy chief of intelligence apparatus.
- Mohammed Nabi Omari: Minor Taliban official from Khost province & in Haqqani Network that has its own command structure.
- Some have links to AQ Contractors.
- “Claims made in the Guantanamo Bay tribunals and in press reports sourced to un-named US officials frequently do not stand up to close inspection.” — Clark
- Taliban are a loose, shifting network of militant groups
- Fazl & Noori…2 most useful to Taliban but Taliban have changed since 2001
- Power struggle in Taliban common = May not integrate after 13 yearsi
Click for Source Article from VOX