POPE FRANCIS’S HOLY WAR ON CRONY FREE-MARKET CAPITALISM
Pope Francis’s ‘holy war’ on capitalism and toxic inequality by Paul Farrell, Market Watch Nov 11, 2014
Pope Francis = “God continues to talk to us today through the poor.”
Pope Francis = Critique of Capitalism “thou shalt not” have an economy of exclusion and inequality = NO to an economy that kills = Elderly homeless person dies of exposure — Food is thrown away while people are starving?
Pope Francis = Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest = Only the powerful survive. 50% of World’s population lives on less than $2.50 per day = Masses of people are excluded + Marginalized without the means to survive.
Pope Francis = Says trickle-down theories are lies and never trickle in free market capitalism = Produce even greater injustice and exclusivion.
Pope Francis = Free-Market Capitalism is a massive failure = Confirmed by the facts = A crude and naïve trust in the goodness of Super-Rich wielding economic power = FAILED and produces massive inequality = USA #1 in Wealth and Income Inequality = With Billions living in poverty while a thousand or so enjoy unheard of RICHES living off slave labor and exploitation.
Pope Francis = We must end our reliance on out of control free-market exploitive capitalism and financial speculation. End the hidden Tyranny of GREED.
POPE = Fortune magazine ranks him first among the “World’s 50 Greatest Leaders.”
POPE = Anticapitalist + Anticonservative = Ideological war BIG OIL + GOP + USA SENATE’S rigged political arena.
Big picture: Economics trumps as Lurking in the shadows is a new crash = Hidden under irrational exuberance = $10 Trillions in losses as again bulls and optimists, traders and leaders fall into denialism.
GOP Boehner-McConnell talk big but their anxious = GOP is sitting on the shifting tar sands of Big Oil cash threatened by higher costs, long-term risks.
GOP = Climate disasters will bury the GOP’s aggressive energy agenda.
POPE = Celebrating one-year anniversary since laying down his anticapitalism manifesto for his army of 1.2 billion Catholics worldwide.
POPE = Removing conservative cardinals and bishops from leadership roles.
POPE = Hell-bent on changing the world fast following his unwavering and unequivocal mandate of clear moral and political battle lines against repressive capitalism, excessive consumerism, rigid conservatism.
POPE = “Inequality is the root of social ills … as long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.”
POPE = Declaration of “HOLY WAR” against self-destructive amoral atheistic capitalism = Target economic inequality as the world’s No. 1 problem = Capitalism is at Center as the POPE speaks with a powerful moral authority.
FACT: American Political Leaders = HAVE ZERO MORAL AUTHORITY = SOLD OUT TO AIPAC-WALL STREET-BIG OIL-BILLIONAIRES = Atheist novelist Ayn Rand = Patron saint of the GOP’s crony capitalist agenda.
POPE = In Moral war GOP is no match for Francis’ vision or principled mandate to raise the world’s billions out of poverty and eliminate inequality by attacking capitalist markets and political system.
POPE = Has the resources as commander-in-chief of 1.2 billion Catholics worldwide who are motivated to defeat capitalism’s grip on inequality + 450,000 priests and deacons = All sworn to carry out his vision without legislative approvals = Authority to act unilaterally, with speed.
POPE’S 10 commandments in war against Inequality and capitalism
One short year ago Pope Francis laid down his anticapitalism agenda and Mitch McConnell probably hasn’t even read it yet and its 10 economic commandments that define the specific strategies (extracted from his 67-page manifesto) GOP leaders, will face for years, long after McConnell’s tenure:
1. Solve economic inequality fast … or capitalism dooms whole world = “Inequality is the root of social ills … as long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.”
2. Never trust the greedy Invisible Hand of free-market capitalists = “We can no longer trust in the unseen forces and the ‘invisible hand’ of the market. Growth in justice requires more than economic growth … a better distribution of income … The economy can no longer turn to remedies … such as attempting to increase profits by reducing the work force and thereby adding to the ranks of the excluded.”
3. Trickle-down economic ideology of the Super Rich is massive hoax = Some “continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. … a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power … the culture of prosperity deadens us.”
4. New tyranny of capitalism gets rich stealing from the public = “While the earnings of a (very small) minority are growing exponentially, so too is the gap separating the majority from the prosperity enjoyed by those happy few. This imbalance is the result of ideologies which defend the absolute autonomy of the marketplace and financial speculation, and reject the right of states charged with vigilance for the common good. … A new tyranny … unilaterally and relentlessly imposes its own laws and rules.”
5. The new Golden Calf Idolatry is capitalism’s worship of money = “Money must serve, not rule … The current financial crisis can make us overlook the fact that it originated in a profound human crisis: the denial of the primacy of the human person! … The worship of the ancient golden calf has returned in a new and ruthless guise in the idolatry of money … lacking a truly human purpose.”
6. Capitalism fuels excessive consumerism, undermining social morals = “Today’s economic mechanisms promote inordinate consumption, yet it is evident that unbridled consumerism combined with inequality proves doubly damaging to the social fabric. … Inequality eventually engenders a violence … new and more serious conflicts. Some … blaming the poor and the poorer countries themselves for their troubles … more exasperating … widespread and deeply rooted corruption found in many countries … businesses … institutions.”
7. Obsessive competition to amass personal wealth destroys democracy = “Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless … masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalized: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape. … Such an economy kills … it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?”
8. Capitalists treats humans as leftovers in their throwaway world = “Human beings are themselves considered consumer goods to be used and then discarded. We have created a ‘throw away’ culture which is now spreading. It is no longer simply about exploitation and oppression, but something new. … those excluded are no longer society’s underside … no longer even a part of it. … but the outcast, the ‘leftovers’.”
9. Extreme conservative individualism is killing democracy worldwide = “In a culture where each person wants to be bearer of his or her own subjective truth, it becomes difficult for citizens to devise a common plan which transcends individual gain and personal ambitions. … freed from those unworthy chains and to attain a way of living and thinking which is more humane, noble and fruitful, and which will bring dignity to their presence on this earth.”
10. Capitalism rejects God, morality, ethics … loves total anarchy of money = “Behind this attitude lurks a rejection of ethics and a rejection of God. … condemns the manipulation and debasement of the person. … ethics leads to a God who calls for a committed response which is outside the categories of the marketplace. … makes it possible to bring about balance and a more humane social order.”
BROADCAST THESE IDEAS TO friends, your kids, grandkids, everyone — Nobody’s on the sidelines in this new “Holy War.” Post the 10 new economic commandments on social media, tweet, retweet, let others know where you stand. The Pope’s 10 economic commandments can save the world, save capitalists, save conservatives, save democracy … yes, hope does spring eternal.